Wednesday 8 March 2017

What to expect from your family photo session with me


Gatineau family photo session to document everyday moments. Documentary, lifestyle photographer

How does a family documentary photo session work?

For those who have already had a photo session with me, you will know the answer to this but for those who haven’t, I thought I’d take a bit of time to explain the process. 

When I am first contacted by a client, I follow up with a brief description of how I work and I ask questions to get more details on what my client is looking for. I want to be sure that my photography style is a good match for what they want. Sometimes this means answering more questions or a phone call to go more in depth. Once we have agreed on a date, I develop a list of questions that are tailored to that client. I want to get to know my client before I meet them so that I can really understand what is important to them and what they want to remember about this time in their lives. Maybe it’s an object like a favourite t-shirt, or maybe it’s an interaction like the way Dad turns his toddler upside down or sometimes it’s a general feeling of the chaos and movement of everyday life. The answers to these questions help to guide the session and inspire the activities for the session itself. For example, if I read about how special breakfast time is for a family, my first thought is to ensure we set a time that will allow us to capture this. I read my clients’ responses to questions several times ahead of the session and keep the details in mind while I shoot. The idea is to create photos that make you feel something and the only way to do this is to go deeper and to connect - to capture real life moments that are authentic.

You won’t find a “what to wear” section on my website. It’s all about being comfortable and dressed according to the activity you will be doing. You don’t need to do a major clean before I arrive since those real life elements are what help the story and make it your own. No posing required, just enjoy time with your family. If someone isn’t interested in doing a certain activity that day, that's ok too, we move on and do something else. 

I give very little direction and instead let everyone fall into the routine of being themselves. I take a lot of photos. I shoot details, objects, close ups of tiny toes and wider angles to get the whole room or family in the picture. All of these pieces come together to tell the story. 

Not sure what activities to do for your family session? I'm working on a list to help inspire you. Stay tuned!

Documentary photo sessions aren’t just for families with young children – they can include anything from a simple wedding, maternity sessions (documenting life before baby arrives, preparing the nursery etc.), documenting the story of your family's older generations or how about the creative process behind a business? More on those specific sessions another time!  

I’m happy to answer any questions so don’t hesitate to hit reply and send me a message.



No comments:

Post a Comment