Monday 27 February 2017

Savouring those Everyday Moments




It's no secret that more time with those we love is always what we will want more of. In a fast paced world where we are stuck in front of screens or long lists of 'to dos", it's easy to get distracted or think we have all the time in the world. It struck me this weekend that my daughter will be starting school next year which means I won't be able to just pull her out of daycare when I want and spend time with her. The reality of being a photographer means that lots of weekends are split between work and family time. As much as I strive to carve that time out, I'm realizing I have to be more conscious about it. Small things each day can make a difference to maintain those connections. I've put together a list for myself of how I can be more present and savour that time with my family. Simple ideas that I am starting today. I'd love to hear from you if you have any tips that you would like to share.



Go Offline



I was one of those late smart phone adopters. Up until a year and a half ago, I didn't have a cell phone or even a tablet of my own. I had my computer and that was it. I never expected to be in the position I am now where I don't know how I got by without them. As much as these devices are convenient and often necessary for business, they suck away your time and your attention. You hear yourself say 'let me just check one more thing' and then realize you've spent an hour doing nothing of real importance. Turn off the devices for one full day - no checking of emails or texts, no surfing the internet, no photos. Just be truly in the moment.

Have a Real Conversation


At the end of some days, all I want to do is turn my brain off or use that time to check a few things off of my to do list. Life gets busy and sometimes, it's sad to say, I realize I haven't even had a real conversation with my spouse or my kids beyond the "how was your day?" question, the answers to which rarely tell me much anyways. There are some great journals out there (even for kids) that have questions in them for each day of the year or think of your own. Ask each other the question and actually listen to the response. You can also simplify this exercise and ask the same question each day: "what was your favourite thing about today?". Not only does it help to focus on the positive but it may start those interesting conversations that go deeper.


Undivided Attention



Multitasking is a myth. You may be able to do two things at once, but doing them both well is often just not possible. Something is always sacrificed. Give 15 minutes of your undivided attention each day to each of your children. Forget the dishes, that stack of laundry or that report you need to write for just 15 minutes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment