Tuesday 28 March 2017

I Finally Got a Professional Headshot Done!


I recently met up with Myriam of Farah Photography with the plan to take photos of each other. As photographers, we aren't often in front of the camera and realized we hardly had any recent photos of ourselves. We both wanted something natural so we settled on meeting at a coffee shop. We found a corner that had great light and shot each other as we talked. Very simple. Myriam is amazing. She makes you feel comfortable and uses her warm personality to get you to relax, laugh and have fun.

As much as I was a bit worried about a public setting for the photos, it didn’t take long to forget about everyone else. Something as simple as having a cup of tea to hold helps to get past that “what do I do with my hands” feeling. 



Before the session, I think: I hate having my photo taken, I’m more comfortable behind the camera, I’m not photogenic, this is going to be so awkward, maybe I should have worn the other shirt? Sound familiar? Looking at photos of myself is kind of like hearing a recording of your voice for the first time – it can feel a bit strange and you ask yourself, is that really how I sound? However, as a mom, I’m realizing I need to get over it. I need to accept how I look on camera if I want to pass that positive self-image on to my kids and to be more accepting of the things I may not completely love about myself. As a photographer, I need to practice what I preach. Hiring a professional photographer to take your photo is a great step to get passed this. Photographers are trained to capture good angles, to try different poses and compositions to help you see yourself in a different light. 


Typically with photos of myself, I pour over them and find all the things I don’t like instead of focusing on what is good about them - what is good about me. With the photos that Myriam took, I can honestly say that there is nothing I would change. Even my “over smiling” (see this photo right above...this is my "oversmile") which typically makes me cringe when I see myself like that…but this shot actually turned out to be one of my favourites. Her talent for composition and light makes it work. 



What comes to mind when you think of the word “headshot” ? I like to think about redefining the headshot to be less formal. I think people are looking for something that feels real and shows a bit of personality. Choosing a casual setting really helps to create that. Letting some of your character shine through is a good thing. 

It was fun to do something just for me and to come away with photos of just me, being me.  

I highly recommend hiring someone you trust to take photos of just you!

No comments:

Post a Comment