Monday 5 June 2017

First Birth

I still find it hard to believe that I had this amazing opportunity to shoot such an intimate and life changing experience. A big thanks goes out to Stacey and Cory who trusted me with these moments. I will remember it always.

I spent some time with the family the day before Piper joined this world while Stacey was in labour. The following morning I was asked to make my way to the hospital. I fought the early morning rush hour traffic to get back to the hospital, scrambled to find parking, ran through the hospital and when I approached her room, I was told by the nurses that she was delivering right now. I literally walked through the door and had time to grab my camera just as this tiny miracle was born. Not long after Piper was whisked away to be monitored and assessed as she needed some help breathing. That wait between the delivery and seeing Piper again is difficult to describe. As a mom, I can only imagine how that felt. When she finally made her appearance, so tiny, so vulnerable - I was so happy for Stacey to see her baby but also a little heart broken for her that she couldn't just hold her in her arms right away.

The one word that comes to mind when I think about Stacey is strength - from beginning to end. I think baby Piper was lucky enough to inherit this trait.












Photo taken at the Ottawa Civic Hospital during birth photography session by Melanie Mathieu Photography

Photo taken of baby just minutes old at the Ottawa Civic Hospital. Ottawa birth photographer Melanie Mathieu Photography

Ottawa Gatineau birth photographer Melanie Mathieu capturing birth of preemie baby girl at the Ottawa Civic Hospital

New baby being born captured by birth photographer at the Ottawa Civic Hospital



Dad cutting the umbilical chord of new baby girl who was born at the Ottawa Civic Hospital following labour.




























No comments:

Post a Comment