Friday 8 April 2016

Looking past the mess


Last summer we were getting ready to go on a family trip. The house was a disaster -  clothes, toys and Cheerios on every surface, dishes from lunch and breakfast still sitting on the counters. We live in a very open concept home and so everything is quite visible from any standpoint. We were in hour 5 (yes, 5) of trying to pack for an overnight trip just a few hours away.  One kid was running around half dressed, the other still had a face covered in whatever we had for lunch that day. At the same time, I was also rushing trying to make a last minute birthday card that we were going to bring with us. I was in the bathroom with the hairdryer desperately trying to dry the paint on the card. It was the type of behind the scenes that I wouldn’t want anybody to witness. And then, the doorbell rings. I wanted to hide and pretend we weren’t home but the windows were open and I’m sure the children pressed up against the front window would have given us away. I’m not sure the friends who stopped by that day would even remember that visit but I ended up learning a lot about myself that day. I learned that I need to relax about trying to control how others see me since I really don’t have control over that. Nobody wants to be caught in what they think is a weak moment and as hard as it is to be vulnerable, that is where true connections live. Those closest to us don’t expect perfection. Ever notice that correlation between how close we are to someone and how much of the mess in our lives they can look past?

I think this is in part what draws me to documentary style photography for myself as much as for others. This idea of authenticity and of connection with a moment, a person or with someone’s story. For others that I photograph, I want them to see themselves, and those they love, being themselves and to value the simplicity of just that.


If you have thought about booking a family session - please take a look at the "what to expect" section of my website or contact me for details! 

No comments:

Post a Comment