Friday 1 April 2016

Life Lessons from My Kids


I came across this post about some of the life lessons we learn from our kids and it really resonated with me. It inspired me to come up with my own lessons learned from my family. 

Be empathetic

My daughter seems to complain of various aches and pains with no apparent cause. Or she can sometimes make what seems like a big deal out of a little fall. I am often guilty of brushing it off or trying to make her tougher by not dwelling on it.  Sometimes this is the “right way” to handle it but maybe sometimes, I’m realizing, I need to just step back without judgement instead of dismissing or trying to make it seem smaller. Sometimes something small can feel like a big deal. We can’t begin to understand someone else’s perception of pain unless we stop and put ourselves in their shoes. Just being there and listening is sometimes all that is needed.  

Create just for the sake of it

Worry less about the end result and enjoy the process. My girls love to bake and to paint – to create something. They often won’t show an interest in actually eating what we just baked or even look back at what they just painted. They care about the activity of creating and doing something new. They don’t worry about how it will turn out or if they are using the right colours. I’ve realized that I have to stop myself from looking at their artwork and asking them “what” they drew and just enjoy it for what it is. It doesn’t really matter what it is – what matters is that they created something of their own and enjoyed themselves in the process.

Be kind

Seeing my oldest helping my youngest get her shoes on or watching as my youngest brings her sister a cup of water to her without asking - those simple gestures of kindness just warm my heart. Truth be told, they don’t always get along but when it does play out that way,  I soak it all up. At those early ages, they don't always acknowledge the kindness but they also don't expect anything in return either.  It reminds me to focus on those simple gestures towards others without any expectations.  

Be silly

Yes, I want my kids to be well behaved in front of others, to not complain about their food, to not say bad words but all of these things we try to avoid will happen…often and repeatedly. Joining in on the silliness is sometimes all that you can do. That is what memories are made of. Don’t be so serious.



What lessons have you learned from your family? I'd love to hear about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment